From: Daniel Barkalow <barkalow@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] [RFC] Auto-select slots based on system configuration
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 05:33:47
1 It seems to me like there are a number of things that should be able to
2 hint that you want some particular slots of particular packages, such that
3 --depclean doesn't remove them and emerge world updates them.
4
5 For example, it shouldn't remove the version of gentoo-sources that your
6 /usr/src/linux symlink points to. It shouldn't remove the version of emacs
7 you've got eselected. It shouldn't remove a version of tomcat that you've
8 got in your default runlevel. It shouldn't remove the Java VM that
9 java-config is set to.
10
11 For each of these, I think it should handle this information as if the
12 particular slot were in your world file, so long as the system is
13 configured that way (that is, it shouldn't actually record it in the world
14 file that way, but it should act like it saw it there).
15
16 Would this be a generally good concept, if I came up with a suitable
17 implementation? (Now that the code is set up to carry out the implications
18 of such a setting)
19
20 -Daniel
21 *This .sig left intentionally blank*