From: Alpt <alpt@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] The merge of emerde with emerge
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 23:12:39
1 On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 10:37:22PM +0000, Luke-Jr after a spiritual call wrote :
2 ~> > okey, install it in slackware then and use it. let me see please.
3 ~>
4 ~> There's no purpose. If you want to use Portage, you might as well use Gentoo.
5 ~> I see no reason why it shouldn't work, though.
6
7 portage != Gentoo. Or am I wrong?
8 There are plenty of reason... they are even too obvious
9
10 ~> > > > tgz support: A tgzfile must be a Slackware pkg. Emerde will resolve
11 ~> > > > the tgz's dependences and will install it.
12 ~>
13 ~> Inject stuff. I don't see RPM installing DEB, tgz, or ebuilds.
14 ...
15 ~> You're saying Portage isn't Slackware compatible because you define Slackware
16 ~> to be non-Portage.
17
18 the tgz support means that if you install a tgz with emerde, you'll have
19 all the dep checking using the pordb. It's very useful to manage the
20 tgzs. They don't have dependences checking. So, if you install emerde in
21 Slackware it's welcomed.
22 This is the same for rpm, and deb. Having a unified packet manager isn't
23 a bad idea. Moreover the tgz/deb/rpm are binary pkg, so they can be used
24 if the user doesn't want to compile.
25 (i'm not saying it's good to don't compile)
26
27 ~> Nope... In fact, I can change my USE and it will still output the same stuff
28 ~> since it doesn't recompile anything. A bug, but it doesn't annoy me enough.
29 ????
30 In the current portage every time src_compile is called, econf is
31 called, so ./configure is called again, and then make will start from
32 the very first source!
33
34 ~> > > > initd-cfg: /etc/init.d editor.
35 ~> > >
36 ~> > > Doesn't belong in a package manager.
37 ~> >
38 ~> > you are managing the init.d files of the packages installed with the
39 ~> > package manager
40 ~>
41 ~> Shall we include editors for all the other possible configuration files
42 ~> Portage packages install too?
43
44 So, Do we need ufed? No, we don't cause it's so simply to live without
45 it.
46 Did you actually see initd-cfg?
47
48 ~> > ~> Portage is already distro-independent... The only distros to have
49 ~> > considered ~> using it (Zynot and Utopios) both determined that it would be
50 ~> > better to write ~> a better package manager based on the ideas.
51 ~> >
52 ~> > Install it in the other distro then. Did you considered for example
53 ~> > baselayout?
54 ~>
55 ~> Inject baselayout.
56 It's not so simple.
57 You have to install rc-scripts for example. (but you don't have to install it
58 completely.)
59