From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] PATCH: initial EAPI awareness
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:54:00
1 On 08/30/05 Brian Harring wrote:
2
3 > Why am I being so damned stubborn about numbers for this? Cause I
4 > don't want users having to dink around with knowing that eapi="really
5 > cool version" somehow maps out to 3.1. Further, eapi version *likely*
6 > will wind up as the slotting for any split out portage-ebuild package,
7 > and slots traditionally have always been ints.
8
9 Thanks for that last comment, it actually prooves our point ;)
10 Yes, SLOTs are *generally* numeric strings, as they are generally tied
11 to major versions. But as soon as more than the major part of the
12 version is important ints don't work anymore (and never ever mention
13 float again, version numbers aren't floats), and in some cases you find
14 non-version data in SLOT (like $CTARGET).
15
16 Marius
21 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
22 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.
23 --
24 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list