From: Sebastian Luther <SebastianLuther@×××.de>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Releasing portage-2.2.8
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 17:32:05
1 Am 09.12.2013 16:44, schrieb Brian Dolbec:
2 > On Mon, 2013-12-09 at 14:56 +0100, Sebastian Luther wrote:
3 >> Hi all,
4 >>
5 >> I'd like to release a new portage version. You may find the list
6 >> of fixed bugs on the tracker [1] (those not marked as fixed).
7 >>
8 >> Most notable are the slot operator related fixes and the fix for
9 >> binary packages with respect to use dependencies on USE_EXPAND
10 >> values.
11 >>
12 >> I don't think there's anything that should go into the NEWS
13 >> file.
14 >>
15 >> Any objections?
18 >> What is then needed is someone to create the tarball using
19 >> mkrelease.sh and upload it somewhere.
20 >>
21 >> The ebuild needs an updated SRC_URI.
22 >>
23 >> Any Volunteers?
26 >> [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/484436
29 > Yeah, we also need to update the ebuild. 2.2.7 was still using the
30 > now deprecated EAPI 2 which was getting the attention from the
31 > stabilizing devs. I think it is time to update the ebuild eapi.
32 > We can always keep 2.2.7 around for an upgrade path from older
33 > eapi's.
34
35 I haven't looked at the upgrade path for quite a while, but it was
36 usually a pain when portage changed its EAPI or python deps.
37
38 While it's true that leaving old ebuilds available helps with that,
39 it's still annoying. So if we do this, we should have a real good reason.
40
41 The council voted that EAPI 1 and 2 are discouraged. I'd argue that
42 minimizing upgrade hassle is more worth than not using a discouraged EAPI.
43
44 To summarize: leave it as is.
47 > Mike, what about Sebastian's last patch about the /var/run and
48 > compny. The email I fail to find at the moment. I know there was
49 > some additional comments on the bug about /var/lib and one other
50 > directory being excluded.
51 >