From: Paul Varner <fuzzyray@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] dispatch-conf
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 01:37:22
1 On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 08:29 +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > On Thursday 02 June 2005 04:47, Grant Goodyear wrote:
3 > > Grant Goodyear wrote: [Wed Jun 01 2005, 02:38:51PM CDT]
4 > >
5 > > > Dear all,
6 > > > Is dispatch-conf still "barely-maintained", meaning that nobody is
7 > > > really all that familiar with the code? Agriffis has suggested that we
8 > > > split dispatch-conf out of portage and either put it into gentoolkit or
9 > > > make it its own package, and see if we can get some help
10 > > > with maintaining it.
11 > >
12 > > Brian tells me that the symlink bug is fixed in ~arch, and that he
13 > > doesn't object to breaking it out of portage. Any other thoughts?
14 >
15 > It's not fixed as far as I know and I've been the one fixing bugs with
16 > dispatch-conf and I just came across that bug the other day. To confirm we're
17 > talking about the same thing:
18 >
19 > myfile (regular file)
20 > ._cfg0000_myfile (symlink to otherfile)
21 >
22 > After running dispatch-conf and choosing to "use new", myfile will be a
23 > regular file holding the same contents as otherfile.
24 >
25 > As for splitting it out, I'd say either both or neither. As it stands now,
26 > etc-update has more bugs (mostly usability) filed against it than
27 > dispatch-conf does. It'd be nice to have dispatch-conf become the
28 > recommended. This could still happen if they were to be split out though.
29 > We'd just need a virtual/cfg-updater or something that they both provide and
30 > just make portage depend on it.
31
32 Jason,
33
34 That actually sounds like a good plan to me. This allow for more time
35 for the portage devs to develop portage and the wanna-be portage devs
36 like myself can work on the supporting tools. Additionally this allows
37 the various config file update utilities to live or die on their own
38 merits.
39
40 Regards,
41 Paul