From: "Rick \\\"Zero_Chaos\\\" Farina" <zerochaos@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Security and Comparison of Portage with other Package Managers
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 00:56:15
1 On 03/05/15 14:14, Patrick Schleizer wrote:
2 >> I used the footnote numbers to reference the attacks.
3 >
4 > I am afraid, this might cause some confusion. The numbers you have used
5 > won't stay stable. Those were autogenerated numbers of footnotes. As
6 > footnotes change, these numbers change. To keep your post
7 > understandable, I created a snapshot before modifying footnotes:
8 > http://www.webcitation.org/6Wo9Cb2ox
9 >
10 > However, numbers (1), (2), (3), etc. that won't be automatically
11 > changed, have just been added now.
12
13 HA, my fault, sorry about that.
14 >
15 > Actually, I was aware of it. The issue is, signing is not everything.
16 > Signatures need a validity range. Otherwise mirrors can also show half a
17 > year etc. old signatures that are valid. See also:
18 > http://blog.ganneff.de/blog/2008/09/23/valid-until-field-in-release-f.html
19 >
20 >> attacks 3, 11, and 12.
21 >
22 > There was no attack 3. Now, before we talk past each other, would you
23 > mind to repost by referencing attack by name or by their new, "real"
24 > numbers?
25
26 Well now there is an attack 3 :-)
27
28 webrsync-gpg would ALERT the user in the case of attack 3. Portage
29 checks the timestamp file from inside the gpg signed snapshot and alerts
30 the user if the last sync was too long ago. In the case of a freeze
31 attack, it should alert the user that the sync is old. Not that it
32 fixes the attack, but it won't go unnoticed for long.
33
34 Likewise, webrsync-gpg would also completely prevent 7 and 8. The
35 snapshot is the entire tree, so it is not possible to "mix and match"
36 without modifying the signed tarball. Nor would it be possible to
37 provide the user with the wrong package since the checksums from inside
38 the signed portage tarball wouldn't match if the source package was
39 traded for a different one.
40
41 Attack 8 shouldn't work either, as the checksums for everything are
42 protected in the gpg signed portage tarball it should not be possible to
43 trade out a source tarball for a different one. While gentoo doesn't
44 typically use binary packages, it does have the support for it. Nothing
45 in the binary package installation is protected by signatures, so I
46 would expect this kind of attack to be possible when installing a binary
47 package. Might be non-trivial to do, but certainly possible.
48
49 Attack 9 won't work either, assuming the user can avoid the freeze
50 attack (3) the user will have an up to date knowledge of what it expects
51 on the mirrors and will simply ask other mirrors for the right file in
52 case of 404 or bad checksum.
53
54 tl;dr webrsync-gpg is a built in feature of the package manager which
55 OPTIONALLY adds a significant amount of security against the attacks
56 described on your website. This is not currently the default setting,
57 however, it is described in many hardening guides for gentoo and widely
58 used among the security conscious.
59
60 -Zero_Chaos