To: Vladimir Diaz <vladimir.v.diaz@×××××.com>, gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Justin Cappos <jcappos@×××.edu>, adrelanos grayson <adrelanos@××××××.net>
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] List moderation issue? was - Re: Portage and Updater Security
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 17:49:10
1 Hi,
2
3 I am wondering why posts by Vladimir Diaz and Justin Cappos are not
4 visible on the gentoo-portage-dev mailing list archive.
5
6 Lost in spam filter?
7
8 Have you received them?
9
10 Should the listmaster be contacted?
11
12 Cheers,
13 Patrick
14
15 Vladimir Diaz:
16 > Hi,
17 >
18 > I am a developer in the Secure Systems Lab at NYU. Our lab has
19 > collaborated with popular software update systems in the open-source
20 > community, including APT, yum, and YaST, to address security problems.
21 > More recently, we have been working on a flexible security framework
22 > co-developed with the Tor project that can be easily added to software
23 > updaters to transparently solve many of the known security flaws we have
24 > uncovered in software updaters. We would like to work with The Portage
25 > Development Project to better secure the Portage distribution system.
26 >
27 > TUF
28 > <https://github.com/theupdateframework/tuf#a-framework-for-securing-software-update-systems>
29 > (The Update Framework) is a library that can be added to an existing
30 > software update system and is designed to update files in a more secure
31 > manner. Many software updaters verify software updates with cryptographic
32 > signatures and hash functions, but they typically fail to protect against
33 > malicious attacks that target the metadata and update files presented to
34 > clients. A rollback attack is one such example, where an attacker tricks a
35 > client into installing older files than those the client has already seen
36 > (these older files may be vulnerable versions that have since been fixed).
37 > A full list of attacks and weaknesses the framework is designed to address
38 > is provided here
39 > <https://github.com/theupdateframework/tuf/blob/develop/SECURITY.md#security>
40 > .
41 >
42 > Our website <http://theupdateframework.com/index.html> includes more
43 > information about TUF, including: papers
44 > <https://github.com/theupdateframework/tuf/tree/develop/docs/papers> and a
45 > specification
46 > <https://github.com/theupdateframework/tuf/blob/develop/docs/tuf-spec.txt>.
47 > If you want to see how an existing project integrates TUF, there is a
48 > standards track proposal
49 > <https://github.com/pypa/interoperability-peps/blob/master/pep-0458-tuf-online-keys.rst#abstract>
50 > to the Python community that you can review. A more rigorous proposal that
51 > requires more administrative work on the repository, but provides more
52 > security protections, is also available
53 > <https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0480/>.
54 >
55 > Thanks,
56 > Vlad
57 >
58 > P.S.
59 > There is an informational Gentoo Linux Enhancement Proposal that references
60 > the security issues that our project addresses, but there hasn't been much
61 > recent activity.
64 > --
65 > vladimir.v.diaz@×××××.com
66 > PGP fingerprint = ACCF 9DCA 73B9 862F 93C5 6608 63F8 90AA 1D25 3935
67 > --