From: andrea ferraris <andrea_ferraris@××××××.it>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Conary
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 11:29:21
1 Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Sunday 24 October 2004 05:18, Ed Grimm wrote:
3 >
4 >>Excluding program directories (for example, /etc/init.d), all changes to
5 >>existing /etc files should compensate for changes that the local
6 >>administrator has made. For example, when upgrading a configuration
7 >>file, the new version should, as much as possible, retain the changes
8 >>that the local administrator has made. When the ext3 filesystem tools
9 >>add a new option, any attempts to update /etc/fstab should ignore any
10 >>partitions that aren't ext3. It should not add any partitions that it
11 >>feels are missing, either due to having ignored a reiserfs partition or
12 >>due to that partition not being there. It should not alter any swap
13 >>partitions that haven't been modified according to a change the ext3
14 >>maintainer previously saw - it's possible it may have not been installed
15 >>here, it's possible the administrator backed it out. It should NEVER
16 >>try to change the partition type (for example, from ext3 to xfs, like it
17 >>currently wants to do.)
20 > This is what dispatch-conf will do if you give it time to work. For
21 > dispatch-conf to work you need to initialise it first. It works with
22 > three-way diffs, so without a reference (which gets created the first time a
23 > config file is updated with dispatch-conf) it doesn't work. For the rest, I
24 > suggest you write up a patch to dispatch-conf to allow it to ignore certain
25 > files. However it normally works quite well with fstab as the default one
26 > hardly changes, and you'd want to know about those changes anyway.
27
28 Thx to you and other kind replying people >
29
30 I don't made yet my homeworks (studying dispatch-conf), so I was
31 replying to Ed (with congrats), saying that was needed a 3 time diff.
32 I think that could be more convenient the dispatch-conf way, but
33 conceptually the creation of a reference is not mandatory. It's enough a
34 diff between the actually installed and modified file and the original
35 one of that version, since the system know which is the version of the
36 original one. Then it knows which are the original lines that
37 disappeared or changed and at that point it could delete such lines (or
38 those that substitute them) from the new standard cfg file and merge
39 only the remaining diffs and in any case it shouldn't never substitute
40 custom changes with standard in cfg files. Then it could not be bad one
41 comment line at the beginning of new std cfg file where is written what
42 changed and why (I know that for the developers could be annoying, but
43 it should not take more than 1-2 minutes).
44
45 >>If people are interested, I could potentially write a tutorial on
46 >>methods one could utilize to perform such functions. Note that this
47 >>would be written to writing the code in perl, as I don't know python
48 >>well, and it doesn't feel natural to me.
51 > Well, go ahead
54 There are no problem, I know neither python neither perl, so I'm the
55 perfect candidate to translate your perl script in python ;-) because
56 I'd like to learn python.
57 Anyway I know awk.
58
59 Andrea
60
61 P.S.: I'd like that someone for curiosity studied Conary to see what and
62 how can be ported to gentoo portage, but I seen that my attempt has not
63 been a very big success ;-), so maybe in my spare time, I'll try to do
64 such thing myself and report here the results in the hope that you can
65 teach me some about portage.
68 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list