From: Vladimir Diaz <vladimir.v.diaz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Portage and Update Security
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 22:27:08
1 On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 7:18 PM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 2:15 PM, Vladimir Diaz <vladimir.v.diaz@×××××.com>
4 > wrote:
5 >
6 >> Hi,
7 >>
8 >> I am a developer in the Secure Systems Lab at NYU. Our lab has
9 >> collaborated with popular software update systems in the open-source
10 >> community, including APT, yum, and YaST, to address security problems.
11 >> More recently, we have been working on a flexible security framework
12 >> co-developed with the Tor project that can be easily added to software
13 >> updaters to transparently solve many of the known security flaws we have
14 >> uncovered in software updaters. We would like to work with The Portage
15 >> Development Project to better secure the Portage distribution system.
18 > I'm not familiar with your work on APT, do you have a link?
21 There are LWN.net <http://lwn.net/Articles/327847/> and ;login:
22 <https://www.usenix.org/legacy/publications/login/2009-02/openpdfs/samuel.pdf>
23 articles, and an Ubuntu bug report
24 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt/+bug/247445>, that discuss
25 some of the architectural and security improvements adopted (at the time)
26 by APT and other package managers. The A Look In the Mirror: Attacks on
27 Package Managers
28 <https://isis.poly.edu/~jcappos/papers/cappos_mirror_ccs_08.pdf> paper
29 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt/+bug/247445>goes into more
30 detail.
35 >> TUF
36 >> <https://github.com/theupdateframework/tuf#a-framework-for-securing-software-update-systems>
37 >> (The Update Framework) is a library that can be added to an existing
38 >> software update system and is designed to update files in a more secure
39 >> manner. Many software updaters verify software updates with cryptographic
40 >> signatures and hash functions, but they typically fail to protect against
41 >> malicious attacks that target the metadata and update files presented to
42 >> clients. A rollback attack is one such example, where an attacker tricks a
43 >> client into installing older files than those the client has already seen
44 >> (these older files may be vulnerable versions that have since been fixed).
45 >> A full list of attacks and weaknesses the framework is designed to address
46 >> is provided here
47 >> <https://github.com/theupdateframework/tuf/blob/develop/SECURITY.md#security>
48 >> .
49 >>
50 >> Our website <http://theupdateframework.com/index.html> includes more
51 >> information about TUF, including: papers
52 >> <https://github.com/theupdateframework/tuf/tree/develop/docs/papers> and
53 >> a specification
54 >> <https://github.com/theupdateframework/tuf/blob/develop/docs/tuf-spec.txt>.
55 >> If you want to see how an existing project integrates TUF, there is a
56 >> standards track proposal
57 >> <https://github.com/pypa/interoperability-peps/blob/master/pep-0458-tuf-online-keys.rst#abstract>
58 >> to the Python community that you can review. A more rigorous proposal that
59 >> requires more administrative work on the repository, but provides more
60 >> security protections, is also available
61 >> <https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0480/>.
62 >>
63 >> We were thinking of submitting a pull request that shows how such an
64 >> integration would work. So there hopefully won't be much leg work on your
65 >> end apart from deciding how the system should be configured (key storage,
66 >> roles, etc.).
69 >> Would a pull request be of interest? Is there anything you'd like us to
70 >> say more about?
73 > I guess I am less concerned with adding support to portage (which as you
74 > note, is likely fairly straightforward) vs actually generating, publishing,
75 > and signing the metadata; which you would have convince the infrastructure
76 > team to do.
79 How can we contact the infrastructure team? I searched the Gentoo mailing
80 list page <https://www.gentoo.org/main/en/lists.xml> and found
81 "gentoo-infrastructure", but it is a restricted list.
85 >> Thanks,
86 >> Vlad
87 >>
88 >> P.S.
89 >> There are Informational <http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GLEP:57> and Standards
90 >> Track <http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GLEP:58> GLEPs that reference our
91 >> work and the security issues that our project addresses, but there hasn't
92 >> been much recent activity on these proposals.
95 > FWIW, I would rather adopt the standard than continue with a gentoo
96 > specific thing; but I'm not the guy who is going to implement it. I would
97 > recommend talking to the GLEP author (robbat2@g.o)
100 Thank you. We'll contact the GLEP author to discuss the standard.
105 > -A
110 >> --
111 >> vladimir.v.diaz@×××××.com
112 >> PGP fingerprint = ACCF 9DCA 73B9 862F 93C5 6608 63F8 90AA 1D25 3935
113 >> --