From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: [gentoo-qa] splitting up package.mask
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 08:34:26
1 On 3/14/08, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Friday 14 March 2008, Alec Warner wrote:
3 > > On 3/14/08, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
4 > > > On Thursday 13 March 2008, Steve Dibb wrote:
5 > > > > Because package.mask in CVS for profiles is so huge, I think it might
6 > > > > help it to get organized if we split it up a bit.
7 > > > >
8 > > > > halcyon had a good idea for the scheme: testing, broken, removal.
9 > > > > That seems to sum up the main 3 reason that a package would be masked.
10 > > > >
11 > > > > Right now there are 679 entries in package.mask. The reason I came up
12 > > > > with the idea was to find a way to make it easier for treecleaners to
13 > > > > quickly see which ones they were working on.
14 > > > >
15 > > > > I'd like to take the discussion to -dev but wanted to get QA's
16 > > > > thoughts first. I haven't looked into whether or not this is
17 > > > > technically feasible at all.
18 > > >
19 > > > i think the real solution here is allowing masking in a package
22 > > You want to add a metadata key and cache it you mean?
25 > i dont care terribly much about the logistics, just the results. as long as
26 > an ebuild can declare itself masked, it sounds good to me.
27 >
28 > this doesnt preclude the other ideas as there are often times where you want
29 > to have 1 global package mask piece (like large package set bumps ... so X or
30 > KDE or GNOME or ...).
31 >
32 > -mike
36 [-gentoo-qa, +gentoo-portage-dev]
37
38 Original thread was splitting up package.mask entries.
39
40 Genone notes the code to do this already is basically in already (we
41 just don't invoke it for $PORTDIR/profiles afaik).
42
43 Genone, do we use existing code for package.mask (ie if we switch from
44 a file to a dir will it break existing versions? I am unsure if we
45 used the directory code for $PORTDIR/profiles/*
46
47 If we do then I say that is the easiest method.
48
49 MIke also mentioned a means for a single ebuild to mark itself masked.
50
51 I think this is useless without the use of a metadata key and I'm
52 still not sold on its usefullness....I could easily buy some sort of
53 bash var that is read by a tool to generate package.mask entries
54 though. Seems fragile though.
55 --
56 gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o mailing list