From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Deprecating 'emerge action' syntax
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:32:10
1 Right now 'emerge action' and 'emerge --action' are both supported. But
2 as we learned with the rsync case 'emerge action' has potential
3 namespace conflicts with 'emerge package' I'd propose to deprecate
4 'emerge action' before we hit another real conflict.
5 (The alternative would be to deprecate 'emerge package' in favor of a
6 to-be-written 'emerge install <package>', but that's even more
7 problematic)
8 Technically it's a no-brainer, only potential problem would be user
9 confusion.
10 Any objections against this for pre5?
11
12 Marius
17 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
18 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.

action-syntax-deprecation.diff text/x-patch