From: Zac Medico <zmedico@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Bugzilla Bug 112779: New and Improved Way to Handle /etc/portage
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 17:27:03
1 Brian Harring wrote:
2 > Adding another configurable to control it gets back to my point-
3 > should be a simple, extensible *singular* method of doing this, not N
4 > methods.
5
6 Agreed.
7
8 > Not so much transactional as groupping/seperation of each apps files.
9 > (sort of).
10 >
11 > The type of changes you're talking about could just as easily be
12 > integrated into package.* with source command added to it.
13 >
14 > Where's the gain in adding a secondary location for these files, when
15 > the same can be managed from the existing with a minor tweak?
18 I'm open to your idea of using a source command instead. I suppose that an unmasking tool could create new package.* files and that those could then be sourced easily enough.
19
20 The main difference that I see is that the directories approach allows a set of package.* files to be grouped logically. An alternative to my first implementation would be to include paths from a variable in make.conf, akin to PORTDIR_OVERLAY.
23 > Two stats when os.path.isdir(parent) would suffice (single stat)
26 I tend to avoid seemingly insignificant performance enhancements, but for the sake of atomicity, I would opt for a single stat.
27
28 Zac
29 --
30 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list