From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] emerge -pv and masked dependencies
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 04:59:04
1 On Saturday 05 November 2005 04:19, felix@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 03:44:30AM +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
3 > > Nobody else has shown a real example, why should I?
4 > > ...
5 > > I am focusing on what it could do. I stated all the options in my
6 > > previous email.
7 > > ...
8 > > To restate: How often is it there is exactly one masked version
9 > > available? What to do when there are two?
10 >
11 > How old are you? You sound like some crotchety old fart on a rocking
12 > chair on his porch.
13
14 26; almost 27.
15
16 > Good god. Probably once or twice a month I read about some program
17 > that sounds interesting, run emerge -p on my amd64, it complains that
18 > some dependency is masked, I edit /etc/portage/packages.keywords,
19 > emerge -p again, get another complaint about some other top level
20 > dependency, rinse, lather, repeat, until I have a half dozen additions
21 > or give up in disgust. If you have never had this happen, then I feel
22 > sorry for you for being so unadventurous.
23
24 I run ~amd64 but always run whatever the latest packaged KDE is available.
25 Unmasking all of KDE would fit in your category I guess, but I think the
26 discussion with TGL tied with package.unmask would solve that. The only
27 other times I run into masked packages are those that are missing an amd64
28 keyword.
29
30 > And the only way I can provide a real world example is wait til it
31 > comes around again on the gitar, to quote Arlo, and I am not going to
32 > waste my time trying to remember to come back to this dicsussion then,
33 > it will be quite cold in its grave, obviously where you want it to go.
34
35 I don't really want a real world example. You seemed to want one.
36
37 > I swear you have got to be just about the most negative pessimistic
38 > whining poster on this list.
39
40 Heh. This made me laugh. If "negative" means that I try to be pro-active by
41 searching for problems, "pessimistic" means that I do find a lot of problems,
42 and "whining" means that I keep going back to points that haven't been
43 addressed, then why sure I am! ;)
46 Jason Stubbs
47 --
48 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list