From: tvali <qtvali@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Hello! && portage UI
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 22:41:07
1 Hello!
2
3 I am thinking about making user interface for portage.
4
5 I see the possibility to browse portage tree, turning different filters on
6 and off, as it's most important feature. I dont think that it should contain
7 any functions for updating, emerging or unmerging or syncing at it's
8 beginning, as i think that i havent used portage long enough to make a clear
9 design of such a tool.
10
11 Anyway, package browser would be usable for me as a new user of portage.
12
13 I describe shortly, what i see as it's functionality:
14 * General UI, which looks like a classical e-mail client with folder-list on
15 left panel, mail-list on top and one e-mail on bottom. Additionally, top and
16 bottom panel should be together in right panel.
17 * Left panel contains 2 main folders -- one is to access folders in
18 /usr/portage/, another contains keywords like kdebase-meta (or kde-base) --
19 which has packages like kdegraphics-meta inside it (click +). This other
20 tree should be hand-made tree + "others" folder, last containing all package
21 groups, which are not included in this tree. At least, i think that
22 automation may not be possible -- it depends on structure, which i dont
23 know.
24 * Right panel, which contains tabs -- first tab is for top/bottom panels,
25 other are web browsers (konqueror).
26 * Top panel contains package list like detailed view of folders
27 * Botton panel contains details -- also button for opening www-address of
28 package in new tab.
29 + there should be search feature.
30 + some special folders should be added: --update world, which contains all
31 outdated packages jpc. As it would be slow, portage or this UI should be
32 cache such things and clean this cache when --sync happens.
33
34 It is possible that integration into Konqueror could be simple and usable
35 (like portage:/ protocol).
36
37 In future, additional features like tray-icon for autosync and
38 notifications, also adding packages to world and removing, could be
39 considered; code should be build in such way that is would be possible to
40 add them later in different ways.
43 tvali
44 (e-mail: "qtvali@×××××.com"; msn: "qtvali@×××××.com";
45 icq: "317-492-912")
46
47 Ühe eesti internetifirma lehel kohtasin tsitaati:
48 If you don't do it excellently, dont do it at all. Because if it's not
49 excellent, it won't be profitable or fun, and if you're not in business for
50 fun or profit, what the hell are you doing here?
51 Robert Townsend