From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] gentoolkit.git repository reorganized
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 04:49:03
1 On 22 Oct 2015 00:45, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On 21 Oct 2015 16:35, Paul Varner wrote:
3 > > On 10/20/2015 03:34 AM, Alexander Berntsen wrote:
4 > > > On 15/10/15 19:42, Paul Varner wrote:
5 > > > > Over the last couple of days, I have done the following:
6 > > >
7 > > > > 1. Migrated the gentoolkit-dev branch to its own gentoolkit-dev.git
8 > > > > repository
9 > > > > 2. Moved the gentoolkit branch to master on the
10 > > > > gentoolkit.git repository
11 > > > Why did you not just make gentoolkit master, and leave gentoolkit-dev as
12 > > > a branch? That's certainly the common way of using git.
13 > > >
14 > >
15 > > Mainly, because at this point gentoolkit and gentoolkit-dev are now
16 > > almost completely separate code bases as well as being separate packages.
17 > >
18 > > They share a common ancestry and that can be seen looking through the
19 > > commit log, but starting with gentoolkit-0.2.5, gentoolkit started
20 > > migrating to python as the only scripting language and utilizing the
21 > > Portage API with setuptools as the build system. The two remaining bash
22 > > scripts are being rewritten in python and when that is complete, they
23 > > will be completely separate code bases.
24 > >
25 > > gentoolkit-dev has stayed as a collection of stand-alone scripts written
26 > > in multiple languages intended mainly for Gentoo developers.
27 > >
28 > > Since they really do not share any code anymore, it did not make sense
29 > > to me keeping gentoolkit-dev as a branch and it should be in its own
30 > > repository.
31 >
32 > echangelog is the only non-shell/python script, and arguably not useful
33 > anymore. repoman itself has a changelog option, and since the move to
34 > git, we don't commit ChangeLog entries anymore. i would just punt it.
35 >
36 > there's also eviewcvs written in perl, but that's also dead now that
37 > we use git, so it should be punted.
38 >
39 > that really only leaves three:
40 > - ebump - bash
41 > - ekeyword - python
42 > - imlate - python
43 >
44 > why not merge them into a single repo ? you can have a dev/ subdir
45 > for scripts that are more developer oriented and put them behind a
46 > USE=dev flag.
47
48 another reason i think there should be one: gentoolkit-dev rarely sees
49 releases, nor is it clear who is supposed to be making them, nor does
50 it seem like a good use of time to have independent builds/packages.
51 since gentoolkit is getting rolled, updates could finally go out.
52
53 case in point: ekeyword was rewritten almost 2 years ago and it still
54 hasn't seen a release.
55 -mike