From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Is portage faster when using python3?
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 01:54:26
1 On 11/08/2011 04:38 PM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
2 > Reading:
3 > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Portage_tips#Portage_and_python3
4 >
5 > Looks like some people think portage is faster with python3, is that
6 > true?
7
8 Maybe. You'd hope that python3 would be more optimized, since presumably
9 the code is being more actively worked on than python2.
10
11 > I have python3 set as main interpreter (for catching packages
12 > failing to build/work with it), but my portage is merged without any
13 > python* USE flag, I guess, it's still using python2, no?
14
15 By default, portage uses your default interpreter, so you're already
16 using python3.
17
18 > If it's faster really, is python3 safe to use with portage or it's only
19 > offered for testing purposes?
20
21 Nowadays, it should be about as safe as python2. The only difference
22 that I'm aware of is that with python3 we forcefully convert elog mails
23 to ascii in order to avoid encoding errors in python's smtplib module.
24
25 > Thanks for the info :)
26 --
27 Thanks,