From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Feature request
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 19:55:05
1 On Wednesday 31 December 2003 15:34, Allen Parker wrote:
2 > I think it'd be a good idea for portage-ng to include better localization
3 > features (specifically relating to mirrors). I've recently been plagued
4 > with RESTRICT="nomirror" being set in recent mysql 4.0.x ebuilds causing my
5 > filefetching operations to take considerable amounts of time when they
6 > should actually be the fastest. (my example is 30kb/s from argentina
7 > instead of the regular 4Mb/s from gentoo.mirrors.pair.com)
8
9 To me this has more to do with the mirror selection algorithm than with
10 localization. Mirrors from the mirror:// pseudo-protocol should be chosen in
11 such a way that they are both load-balanced, and optimized for local users.
12 Preferably this should work without user interference.
13
14 The same should hold for multiple source locations in the ebuild itself, but
15 it is less important.
16
17 Paul
20 Paul de Vrieze