From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: equery refactorization
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 12:28:43
1 On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 13:54:38 +0900
2 "Douglas Anderson" <dja@××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > $ equery list -h
5 > List all packages matching a query pattern
6 > Syntax:
7 > list <local-opts> pkgspec
8 > <local-opts> is either of:
9 > -i, --installed - search installed packages (default)
10 > -I, --exclude-installed - do not search installed packages
11 > -p, --portage-tree - also search in portage tree (/usr/portage)
12 > -o, --overlay-tree - also search in overlay tree
13 > (/usr/portage/local/layman/wschlich-testing
14 > /usr/portage/local/layman/xwing /usr/portage/local/layman/genscripts
15 > /usr/portage/local/layman/wschlich-testing
16 > /usr/portage/local/layman/xwing /usr/portage/local/layman/genscripts
17 > /usr/local/portage)
18 > -f, --full-regex - query is a regular expression
19 > -e, --exact-name - list only those packages that exactly
20 > match -d, --duplicates - list only installed duplicate packages
21 >
22 > That's an awful lot of "searching" there for something that's
23 > definitely not a search. List is really ambiguous, but whatever.
24
25 So replace "search" with "list" or "look" in the help output.
26
27 > I understand the point of having a stable interface, but this is
28 > probably the most widely recommended tool on the forums and #gentoo.
29 > Stability is not a good enough reason to let it bit rot. Wasn't a more
30 > unified tool interface also one of the original goals of gentoolkit?
31
32 I never said that you should let it bitrot, just that changing the
33 syntax for IMO questionable reasons shouldn't be done lightly. I was
34 stictly talking about the user interface, not the API, in case that
35 wasn't obvious.
36
37 Marius