From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [RFC] Adding extra vars to md5-cache, for QA&tooling purposes
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2019 21:26:37
1 On 7/25/19 11:49 PM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On 25-07-2019 14:20:50 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
5 >> Hi,
6 >>
7 >> TL;DR: I'd like to make it possible for ebuilds to define additional
8 >> variables that will be stored in md5-cache. This would be useful for CI
9 >> and other tooling that right now has to parse ebuilds for other data.
10 >
11 > Only downside I can think of, is a diskspace increase for the md5-cache.
12 > Not sure if this is going to be substantial, but given things like
13 > PYTHON_COMPAT, perhaps a quick calculation of extra "cost" can be made.
14 > Should diskspace become a problem, one could consider to use a separate
15 > file/dir, that users could rsync-exclude, since Portage won't need it to
16 > operate properly.
17
18 Yes, using a separate directory from md5-cache will provide useful
19 isolation. There's a lot of potential for bloat here, and by keeping it
20 separate we can easily render the bloat harmless.
21
22 > Thanks,
23 > Fabian--
24 Thanks,