From: Brian <dol-sen@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] emerge -pv and masked dependencies
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 06:49:42
1 On Sat, 2005-05-11 at 13:48 +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > On Saturday 05 November 2005 10:39, Brian wrote:
3 > > >
4 > > > Multiple candidates is the most worrying for me as well. a-1.1 is masked
5 > > > and requires >=b-1.0. b has 1.0 and 1.1 both of which are masked. b-1.0
6 > > > requires c-1.0 while b-1.1 requires c-1.1. c-1.1 masked but c-1.0 isn't.
7 > > > Should the above "keep going" just grab the highest *masked* version at
8 > > > each stage?
9 > >
10 > > Isn't that what users end up with after adding each package to
11 > > package.keywords then emerge-pv <package> again, and again...
12 > > unless they do detailed research for each failed dep. I know I never
13 > > looked that close at the packages each time it happened as long as it
14 > > wasn't hard masked.
15 >
16 > So whatever atom it was that has all packages masked should be unmasked? That
17 > seems like it would work. The next problem is the four/five types of masking
18 > currently in use; ~arch, -arch, arch not specified, package.mask and
19 > profile's packages.
20
21 <snip>
22 > >
23 > > Well, I don't know that I could supply patches to portage. I have enough
24 > > to keep track of in porthole let alone learn the intricacies of package
25 > > management. It sounds like this is something easier done in porthole
26 > > where we can display all relevant packages in a dialog with checkboxes
27 > > for package selection and possibly an adjustable search depth. That way
28 > > package research could be done in porthole's main window to help decide
29 > > whether they wish to proceed and or which version to select.
30 >
31 > Actually, it would take a fair bit of work on the portage side. At the moment,
32 > there's no existing function to figure out how a package is masked, nor is
33 > there an easy way change the configuration after it is read in from the
34 > config files. Unless you plan to parsing the text returns from
35 > getmaskingstatus() and manually inserting data into this and that config,
36 > you'll need to patch portage anyway...
37 >
38 > --
39 > Jason Stubbs
40
41 For what I had in mind I should not have to patch portage. I would be
42 using porthole's dependency list code and pick out the unsatisfied
43 masked deps and display them in a dialog for approval. After they have
44 been package.whatever'd, then check with an emerge -pv for a final
45 check. Just in case porthole's dependency calc's did not get all of
46 them correct. But I have not run across one yet since Tommy reworked
47 that code.
48
49 One possibility to add that functionality to portage would be to invoke
50 a standalone dep-scan utility rather than just print the standard
51 failure message. That would require minimal change to working stable
52 portage code and add that feature. The next step is for me to come up
53 with some porthole code to test my theory on. If it is successful a
54 standalone utility should be able to be developed from it.
57 Brian <dol-sen@×××××.net>
60 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list