From: Nicholas Jones <carpaski@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] The merge of emerde with emerge
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 02:15:20
1 > tgz support: A tgzfile must be a Slackware pkg. Emerde will resolve the
2 > tgz's dependences and will install it.
3
4 If '.tgz' has been reserved for slackware, that's a bit of a
5 problem. The following suggestion requires some changes in portage,
6 but they are on the way. I'd prefer if it detected the slackware
7 info within the file. Portage should be able to handle any tarball
8 given, regardless of it's metadata format. The reason I say the
9 reservation is a problem stems from wanting xpaks on tgz files
10 instead of restricting ourselves to tbz2 which is computationally
11 intensive.
12
13 > pfile: Emerde will apply the specified action to all the
14 > packages listed in the pfile
15
16 I don't know what this means.
17
18 > invulnerable: Updates all the packages which have suid binaries.
19
20 Why?
21
22 > slack-etc-update: Slackware configuration file updates handler.
23
24 Ok.
25
26 > maketgz: Emerde will build Slackware's tgz packages for all
27 > ebuilds processed.
28
29 Converting to an outside format, while good to be able to do,
30 is better served in an outside application. You had mentioned
31 in another message por2pkg or something like that. These would
32 be in the package to which I am refering.
33
34 > quicksearch: The cp_all function in Emerde is rewritten to use
35 > /var/cadb, there's a significant improvement in all
36 > the functions that use cp_all (--search, sync,
37 > update cache etc...)
38
39 What is cadb? 'esearch' and it's friends compile the data into a
40 db it uses to query from. The problem with portage's search is a
41 locality problem. Seeks on disks are a major penalty. What benefit
42 are you providing here?
43
44 > skipit: Emerde allows you to skip to the next merge with the
45 > SIGINT signal or by pressing CTRL+c.
46
47 This probably isn't a good idea. It's liable to break 'automatic'
48 configurations that the ebuild expects to be satisfied in a
49 particular way. Do you use this often?
50
51 > Compilation resume: Emerde resumes an interrupted or aborted
52 > compilation without rebuild the pkg and
53 > restart the compilation.
54
55 I commented on this elsewhere.
56
57 > LAN-sync: The syncing of the portage can be done using another
58 > machine that had already done it. See ACTION:sync in
59 > the emerge(1) man page.
60
61 You can share your portage tree via NFS and 'emerge metadata'.
62 What does this gain you beyond that?
63
64 > --searchcontents: Emerde matches the search string against the
65 > contents field. The pkg's contents field
66 > contains a list of files and directories
67 > installed. This option is useful to know to
68 > what pkg a file or a directory belong.
69
70 External apps do this for us now. See 'etcat -b' and 'qpkg -f'.
71
72 > --showcontents: This option is the same as the --search one except
73 > that it shows all the contents file of the searched
74 > packages.
75
76 What's the use/benefit of this?
77
78 > --searchinstalled: It filter only installed pkg in the search result.
79
80 The idea is good. The number of flags that could be used here
81 might be a problem though. Perhaps it's time we support '=' in
82 arguments:
83
84 --search=description,installed,available,masked
85 or something to that effect might be more effective.
86
87 > buildworld: Rebuilds or updates the "world" file (/var/cache/edb/world)
88
89 /usr/lib/portage/bin/regenworld
90
91 > por2pkg: converts entries in the portage's db to Slack's db entries.
92 > pkg2por: converts entries in the Slack's db to portage's db entries.
93
94 Commented earlier.
95
96 > pordbcheck: Checks if the programs listed in the portage's db are
97 > really installed.
98
99 I know that qpkg can do this. I'm not overly fond of qpkg as it's
100 in bash and generally annoying to fix.
101
102 > initd-cfg: /etc/init.d editor.
103
104 Explanation would be nice... What exactly is it editing?
105
106 > If I can jump in the coding with you, I can live in peace
107 > with emerde because all the changes will be already built
108 > in and in the near future emerde won't be needed anymore.
109 > The goal is to make the portage distro independent.
110
111 I've got no problem with more help, but as with everyone else,
112 we need to look over what you've done, and how you've done it
113 before bringing you on board.
114
115 I'll be looking over everything at some point.
116 Just have to find the time.
117
118 --NJ