From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Improvement suggestion for emerge: Not using a new connection for every file
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 01:56:12
1 On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 10:00:29PM +0100, Beginner wrote:
2 > I recommend not to use wget and not to reconnect to the server for every
3 > single packet, but to hold the connection
4 > therefore spare traffic and download more fast.
5 If you are doing lots of downloads, use 'emerge -pvf FOO' and feed each
6 line of that output to whatever you want to do your fetching.
7
8 On that, I haven't kept up with the code in recent years, is there a way
9 that portage itself can hand off those entire lines to a fetching
10 application, instead of putting them in one by one? (Telling the app
11 about the expected size and checksums would be handy too).
14 Robin Hugh Johnson
15 Gentoo Linux Developer
16 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
17 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85