From: Sandy McArthur <sandymac@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] portage tree modules
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:43:46
1 I'd like to see the portage tree mechanism be more modular such that
2 it's easy to "subscribe" to more than one portage tree source.
3
4 For example I've been hacking around with zeroconf and currently I tell
5 people to fetch packages from the Gentoo bugzilla and dump them in their
6 portage overlay tree.
7
8 I'd rather be able to tell them to run:
9
10 # echo rsync://example.com/zeroconf-stuff >
11 /usr/portage/zeroconf-stuff.source
12 # emerge sync
13
14 and then portage would notice the new source file and sync to
15 /usr/portage/zeroconf-stuff/ .
18 It would be nice if gentoo supported sync mechanisms other than
19 cvs/rsync. Being able to download a tar.bz2 via http/ftp and unpack it
20 in the right place would be nice for those people who want to maintain
21 their own portage tree but don't have the means to set up a rsync server
22 but can put a tarball online somewhere.
25 Sandy McArthur
29 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list