From: Brian <dol-sen@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: User created package lists
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 07:25:45
1 On Tue, 2006-21-03 at 10:50 -0600, MIkey wrote:
2 > tvali wrote:
3 >
4 > > So, if portage would be looked as lists and operations with lists
5 > > (calculating dependencies of package would be operation with list of
6 > > that package and list of all - portage tree -, then); building tools
7 > > [shell commands] for creating those lists and tools for operations
8 > > with those lists and leaving "emerge" tool just a handy interface to
9 > > command them would be imho great.
10
11 For a completely re-vamped portage, broken up into many smaller modules
12 check out the pkgcore development.
13
14 http://gentooexperimental.org/~ferringb/bzr/pkgcore/
17 > What about something along these lines...
18 >
19 > Add the capability for emerge to take a category as an argument, emerge
20 > www-apps for example, and emerge all packages within that category.
21 > Optionally make it so this will only work on categories within
22 > PORTDIR_OVERLAY, or create a new type of overlay, LIST_OVERLAY.
23 >
24 > Then the user can create overlays with their own category names and symlink
25 > in the package directories they want from the real portage tree.
28 I think you both are making it more complicated than it needs to be.
29 Creating meta packages listing all the deps etc. may make portage work
30 for emerges but won't give a user the heads up when one of those deps
31 are upgradable so easily.
32
33 Marius has stated that user package lists are to be supported in the
34 future (OK), Porthole will have the ability to get ahead of portage
35 because it is not concerned with the direct merging/unmerging of
36 packages and system management. It is merely a way to display package
37 data and ask portage (emerge) to merge/unmerge packages. So back to my
38 original question:
39
40 Will user created lists be located in the /etc/portage directory along
41 with the other user configs? If so will the format be similar to the
42 package.* files? For user package lists I imagine there could be the
43 need to control version ranges, so the standard atoms should somehow
44 apply.
45
46 I would like to try and get as close to a portage format as can be
47 foreseen so that it will require less updates/re-coding later when that
48 feature is implemented.
49
50 eg.
53 /etc/portage/lists/
54
55 This directory would hold any number of user created lists. I am not
56 sure that additional subdirectories would be desired or needed. After
57 all this feature would be to help simplify some tasks, not make ones
58 head explode trying to follow something overly complex.
61 /etc/portage/lists/userlist1
62
63 format:
64
65 net-www/apache
66 www-apache/mod_perl
67 ...
70 How would you atomize a version range? >=, <=, =, <, > for one ended
71 range limits the existing format from package.* files could be used.
72
73 eg. limit net-www/apache to version 2 only? Lets pretend a version 3 is
74 already released, so there could be versions series1, series 2, series
75 3.
76
77 >=net-www/apache-2.0.0
78 <=net-www/apache-2.99.99
79 www-apache/mod_perl
80 ...
81
82 Where the upper range limit would immediately follow the lower range
83 limit
84
85 Or would an fstab type format be used. More available options could be
86 easily assigned.
87
88 # package lowest-version highest-version updates
89 net-www/apache 2.0.0 2.99.0 M,K
90
91 Where updates could be one or more of "M" manual, "A" automatic, "N"
92 never, "K" binary packages only.
93
94 It would not be that hard to implement features like the updates field
95 and range limits in porthole. Since it is not feasible in the current
96 portage code-base, a wrapper module/script could be made to implement it
97 for cli.
98 --
99 Brian <dol-sen@×××××.net>
102 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list