From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: r2424 - main/trunk/pym
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 15:19:10
1 On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 01:24:13PM +0200, Petteri Räty wrote:
2 > Well emerge does have a --debug flag under which to dump everything you
3 > want. Tracebacks might also be included under the --verbose flag. IMHO
4 > tracebacks should in most cases be replaced by user understandable
5 > errors messages in such a way that the tracebacks are still easily
6 > available if wanted.
7
8 --debug is evil for dumping tracebacks.
9
10 It triggers a *lot* of additional information, and is in no way useful
11 for sporadic tracebacks (running with --debug on constantly just to
12 develop portage also is incredibly icky).
13
14 My vote? If something unexpected happened, dump the traceback. Wrap
15 it with purdy "please report this here" output, but never hide the
16 traceback.
17
18 Main thing to remember is that while it _may_ be ugly/confusing for
19 the user, if an unexpected/unhandled situation occurs, it's a bug _we_
20 must address- thus for situations of that sort, design for developers,
21 not users.
22
23 Not saying make it cryptic, but I'll generally oppose any proposal
24 that castrates our debugging capabilities, or requires users to jump
25 through hoops to generate basic debug info for us.
26
27 ~harring