From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: Pavel.Vondricka@×××××××.cz
Cc: gentoo-portage-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] emerge interruption - is it/will it be possible?
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 09:59:21
1 On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 07:21, Pavel Vondricka wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I often would like to continue with a partly done emerge (e.g. manually
4 > interrupted compilation or compile failure -because of some stupid USE flag
5 > setting, aso.), without emerge starting from the scratch again.
6 > It is not only "a bad dream at the end of a 12-hour compilation", but I'd also
7 > like to just unpack the sources, stop emerge, edit/patch the sources
8 > manually, and then let emerge continue and compile and install it, sometimes.
9
10 > Is it possible with the current emerge or will it be possible with the future
11 > portage-ng?
12
13 One easy way to get functionality like this is to "emerge ccache". Then
14 restarting merges should used previously-cached compiles and make things
15 go a lot faster.
16
17 > What is the meaning of emerge -resume? It never did anything for me.
18
19 I honestly don't know. It was something added to the code after I handed
20 over development to carpaski.
21
22 Regards,
23