From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Manifest signing
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:18:20
1 On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 15:29:30 +0900
2 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Saturday 19 November 2005 15:01, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
5 > > After my post to -core about how to move ahead with signing, I
6 > > thought the next best place to continue is in a discussion of how
7 > > Portage handles manifests and their signatures.
8 > >
9 > > First, the blatantly obvious, for the benefit of same developers,
10 > > even though it's not relevant to signing. It is still a weak-point
11 > > and does need to be addressed. Multiple-hashes!
12 >
13 > Yep, portages that don't break on multiple hashes being specified
14 > have been around long enough for this to now be feasible.
15
16 Hmm, sneak it in .53? *g*
17 Just joking.
18
19 > > So now the new Manifest structure looks roughly like this
20 > > (abbreviated): -- PGP
21 > > MD5 ...
22 > > MD5 ...
23 > > -- SIG
24 > > -- SIG
25 > > -- PGP
26 > > MD5 ...
27 > > -- SIG
28 > > -- SIG
29 > > etc.
30 > >
31 > > This has one important implication for backwards compatibility in
32 > > checking of Manifests.
33 > > In the case that a filename appears more than once in the file, only
34 > > the last instance of it should be used, as that is the one that
35 > > relates to the current version of the file. It's 4 lines of code in
36 > > the current portage that need to be removed for this to work (see
37 > > my -core post for where exactly).
38 >
39 > Hence, if we fix it in the next version we still have to wait six
40 > months to a year for most everybody to be using it so we don't break
41 > lots and lots of systems...
42 >
43 > Wouldn't it be easier to just disallow unsigned commits on the server
44 > side?
45
46 Probably, but might have an impact on server load (but Robin is the
47 expert there ;). But that only covers one part of Robins problem
48 (unsigned commits) but not the other (resigning of unchanged files), so
49 he still needs the transactional Manifests, but I don't think the
50 problem is worth the complications.
51
52 Marius
57 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
58 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.