From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Deprecating 'emerge action' syntax
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 19:09:37
1 On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 19:04 +0100, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > > If by "deprecate" you mean to detect when '--' hasn't been prepended
3 > > and either go ahead with the action or notify that the package
4 > > doesn't exist then I have no objections. Might be better to go with
5 > > the latter so that users adjust quickly.
6 >
7 > You saw the attached one-line patch?
8 > Atm it just throws a warning when an action without -- is used.
9 > I'm divided on ignoring the action then, on one hand it would be nice to
10 > get rid of this, OTOH it would be kinda rude to not have a transition
11 > period for people. Anyone else having an opinion on this?
12 Don't change it without a longish warning period.
13 Best would be a toggle to warn/fail so that migrating any scripts etc.
14 can be done in a controlled fashion.
17 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move