From: Douglas Russell <puggy@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Extra USE field
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 21:37:07
1 On Sunday 25 July 2004 20:52, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:
2 > Would it be plausible to include an extra field in ebuilds that
3 > describes what effect a particular USE flag has on the package?
4 >
5 > Take, for example, "xml" and "xml2" in the xfree ebuild. Ok, the
6 > description says that it adds XML support. But why are there two of
7 > them? Why is it optional? What benefit does it have? etc.
8 >
9 > I can see something like:
10 >
11 > # etcat -u gnucash
12 > [ Colour Code : set unset ]
13 > [ Legend : (U) Col 1 - Current USE flags ]
14 > [ : (I) Col 2 - Installed With USE flags ]
15 >
16 > U I [ Found these USE variables in : app-office/gnucash-1.8.9 ]
17 > [snip]
18 > - - postgres : Adds support for the postgresql database
19 > Effect: Enables optional SQL backend for multiple simultaneous users;
20 > not currently maintained and does not support all features
21 > [snip]
22 >
23 > The postgres description by itself tells me nothing about why gnucash
24 > would need or want it, or what benefit it would have.
25
26 That would be really nice. I often wonder what the effect on a package is of a
27 use flag. Sometimes I really don't know if I want something or not.
28
29 Puggy
32 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list