From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] The merge of emerde with emerge
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 09:02:11
1 On Thursday 02 December 2004 17:11, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > Back to the 'make it a wrapper' thing, for it to be external, that's
3 > not in line with the current goals of most of the portage developers-
4 > see genone's omecron design spec, and jstubbs compilation of portage
5 > goals.
6 > Additionally, it will be a pain in the ass forcing the wrapper to
7 > basically duplicate dependency resolution, eg, pulling from it's
8 > tree/repository when possible, falling back to querying portage.
9 >
10 > If it's going to be implemented, it should be implemented _in_ portage
11 > as a specific tree type, with the format properly wrapped/abstracted.
12 > Portage currently isn't incredibly far along in internally wrapping the
13 > ebuild format into it's own class, but it is intended.
14 > ~brian
15
16 At the point where there are proper modules in portage, I'm all for it to
17 make everything a module. What I mean is that slack code should be
18 modularized in such a way that there is no trace of it when you don't
19 want it. For the current system that means some wrapper of some kind. For
20 a modularized system that means that there is a slack package that
21 installs a number of slackware specific modules and configures portage to
22 use them.
23
24 Paul
27 Paul de Vrieze