From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard <jbms@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] portage-ng i18n?
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 22:24:51
1 Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> writes:
2
3 > On Thursday 08 January 2004 04:17, Jeremy Maitin-Shepard wrote:
4 >> It seems it would make the most sense to use GNU gettext. There is
5 >> GNU gettext support for a number of languages, including Bash, Python,
6 >> Awk, Java, and Perl, in addition to the obvious C and C++, and we
7 >> could add support to a portage-specific ebuild language if there comes
8 >> to exist such a language. Any other solution would most certainly be
9 >> more work than GNU gettext.
10
11 > I don't know much about gettext, but I think it should be doable to have
12 > plugins being able to both define their own strings, and use standard
13 > messages like the ones mentioned. Possibly there could be a
14 > standard-strings module for the other modules to use. This module could
15 > then be used by other modules to get their localized strings.
16
17 I would recommend reading the GNU gettext info documentation. It is
18 very informative.
21 Jeremy Maitin-Shepard
24 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list