From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: [RFC] portage-2.1.6 release plans
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 09:32:50
1 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> posted 4914E580.5010502@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Fri, 07 Nov 2008 17:04:00 -0800:
3
4 > I haven't talked to [the kde project] about [hard-masking all portage
5 versions with set support] but AFAIK it entirely possible to use
6 > kde4 without package sets since the meta-ebuilds are available.
7
8 Hmm... I followed the kde4 guide, which talks about sets, and was under
9 the impression they either weren't even doing the metapackages, with sets
10 supplanting them, of if they were, they were using set dependencies, thus
11 required sets.
12
13 A quick look demonstrates that impression was wrong, however. I'd never
14 even checked to see if the meta-ebuilds were actually there!
15
16 So... it seems the ebuilds are there. Never-the-less, for folks who have
17 followed the kde4 guide, sets will be (almost) a must, since that's what
18 it talks about using, so that's probably what folks who read the guide
19 /did/ use. I know it's what I used.[1]
20
21 Regardless, I'd definitely touch base with them on it. At minimum, the
22 upgrade guide will need either changed or taken down, if set support goes
23 back hard-masked. I doubt they'll be very happy about it, but if it
24 needs to happen, well...
25
26 [1] FWIW, I have kde-4.1.2 merged, but consider it still broken and well
27 short of what I'd find actually workable for daily use. There's just too
28 many bits and pieces that don't work, and won't work until at least
29 4.2.0, possibly 4.3.0 the way things are going.
34 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman