From: michael.lienhardt@×××××××.net
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] precisions on installed packages' dependencies
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 00:38:29
1 Dear all,
2
3 Still in the process of improving my solver (and make it a usable tool), I need to have a better idea on how installed packages should be managed.
4 I didn't find anything on that topic in the PMS (if I've missed it, I'm sorry).
5 Could you confirm/correct my following understanding:
6 1. installed packages that are still in the portage tree can be unmerged/updated without any restriction (as specified in their .ebuild)
7 2. installed packages that are not in the portage tree can only be kept as is or unmerged
8 3. before removing a library, "ebuild unmerge" always checks if it is used by another package: this means that installed packages' dependencies are never broken.
9
10 Many thanks!
11 Michael