From: Amit Dor-Shifer <amitds@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] version management for eclasses
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 08:34:39
1 Yep. I'd have to maintain the old eclass in the tree, just to
2 facilitate for those special downgrades.
3 Thanks. Wanted to assure myself that I got that one correctly.
4 Amit
8 Zac Medico wrote:
9 > Amit Dor-Shifer wrote:
10 > > That environment.bz relates to the installed package? And "downgrading"
11 > > means I'm installing a lesser version instead of the current, and not
12 > > necessarily the prev. one in-line. I might be downgrading to a *very*
13 > > old version.
14 >
15 > > I can see how a/m archive can aid in removing the current version.
16 > > However, the replacing package also relies on eclass code, and it might
17 > > rely on code which was already gone when I initially created the ebuild
18 > > of the current version.
19 >
20 > > Here's an example timeline:
21 > > 1. Creating myapp-1.0, inheriting myeclass.eclass "version a".
22 > > 2. Modifying myeclass.eclass to "version b". myapp-2.0 is created.
23 > > eclass is not backward-compatible.
24 > > 3. ...
25 > > 3. Creating myapp-20.0.
26 >
27 > > On a system with myapp-20.0 (and eclass of at-least "version b"), I
28 > > don't see how I would be able to downgrade to myapp-1.0, as "version a"
29 > > of the eclass is nowhere to be found.
30 >
31 > Well, it you're going to break the api and you're not willing to
32 > update the api consumers, the logical thing to do is to copy
33 > myeclass.eclass to myeclass-2.eclass when you break the api. Doesn't
34 > that seem like a logical solution?