From: Daniel Stiefelmaier <mail@××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Improved user information and communication
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 19:35:49
1 >>I thought of a command like emerge mozilla-firefox --useinfo
2 >>that prints what each flag is good for. Maybe some are explained in 5
3 >>words, other may need 5 lines.
7 >Personally, I think that this has only become necessary because USE flags are
8 >overloaded too much and usually encompass an unintuitive set of
9 >functionality. In other words, I think the flaw is with the USE flags that
10 >have been created rather than the USE system itself.
11 >
12 >Take the USE flag "perl", for example. It has the description "Adds
13 >support/bindings for the Perl language." but for mysql setting it enables the
14 >installation of some support scripts that just happen to be written in perl.
15 >
16 >I'd be much more inclined to push for making the USE flags themselves more
17 >intuitive rather than adding another layer of documentation to exlain the
18 >unintuitiveness (which would likely be poorly written anyway).
21 You say it has become necessary... wow...
22 If you think a special flag has a bad name, just tell the ebuild
23 maintainers to rename it. They will do. Sure. Just as i always get
24 positve feedback when i make a request for enhancement...
25 Renaming would cause new trouble, i guess you know that better than me.
26
27 But even if your flag was named "usefulperlplugins" it would not say all
28 that could be said about it.
29 When you told me about "--changelog" i just wondered you didn't tell me
30 to rtfm.
31 man emerge provides information on possible options, why should there
32 not be a way to get information on an ebuilds option???
33
34 The useflag "xprint" sounds like printing support, but doesn't tell if
35 you need it if you use cups or the kde-printing system or... whatever.
38 >HOWTOs can usually be found by navigating from the package's home page.
39 >If not, a quick google will find any that exist.
42 - There are many Gentoo-related HOWTOs, not linked on a projects homepage
43 - Some ebuilds give homepages like "gnome.org" just for some little
44 gnome app that is not linked on gnome.org
45 - There are not only howtos but other useful related pages
46
47 Maybe 9000 ebuilds will never have HOWTOs linked to them and maybe 50%
48 of the users will never use the advanced information. But the others will.
49 Why do you think just because YOU don't need it, noone will?
50
51 No, don't give information to users! Don't have a defined way to get
52 information to a package! It's evil!
53 The defined way would be <wiki-URL>/<ebuild> or emerge <ebuild> --help
54 or whatever.
55 You don't want anything like that and i don't understand that.
56
57 >>BTW, if "This is out of the domain of a package in any package
58 >>management system", then why do some packages print additional
59 >>information after emerging, like what files should be updated manually?
63 >Usually it's because configuration file layout differs from upstream's
64 >defaults or some other Gentoo-specific information.
67 That question was rhetorical. Of course it's because portage can't
68 handle everything.
69 This is why there should be an easy, defined way to get information.
70
71 Caliga
72 --
73 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list