From: Douglas Anderson <douglasjanderson@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] search functionality in emerge
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 14:56:23
1 Emma,
2
3 It would be great it you could speed search up a bit!
4
5 As these other guys have pointed out, we do have some indexing tools in
6 Gentoo already. Most users don't understand why that kind of functionality
7 isn't built directly into Portage, but IIRC it has something to do with the
8 fact that these fast search indexes aren't able to be written to by more
9 than one process at the same time, so for example if you had two emerges
10 finishing at the same time, Portage's current flat hash file can handle
11 that, but the faster db-based indexes can't.
12
13 Anyways, that's the way I, as a curious user, understood the problem.
14
15 You might be interested in reading this, very old forum thread about a
16 previous attempt:
17 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-261580-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-0.html
18
19 On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 11:33 PM, Pacho Ramos <