From: Tom Martin <slarti@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] decoupling .tbz'2 from bzip2
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 10:14:54
1 On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 12:54:37PM -0500, Jason Pepas <cell@×××××××××××.edu> wrote:
2 > I would like to work on making the compression program used by portage a
3 > configurable option.
4 >
5 > I would like to start with binary packages, but eventually make all of
6 > portage more flexible (man, info, doc, etc).
7
8 Well, I'd love it if there was some way to specify other compression
9 programs to use instead of bzip2 and tar. pbzip2 produces huge speedups
10 on SMP machines, and some people like using star...
13 Tom Martin, http://dev.gentoo.org/~slarti
14 AMD64, net-mail, shell-tools, vim, recruiters
15 Gentoo Linux