From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] PATCH: initial EAPI awareness
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 10:56:23
1 Hola.
2
3 Attached is a patch that
4 A) adds EAPI awareness to portage; mainly, if >0, complain and be
5 unwilling to merge the package
6 B) tweaks to portage_db_flat, addition of portage_db_metadata, and
7 portage_db_flat_hash
8
9 Flat_hash is the replacement cache format for metadata/cache; assuming
10 nobody does anything stupid with EAPI, it will allow us to deploy new
11 metadata in the tree without forcing a breakage every time we do so.
12
13 portage_db_metadata.py is a compability implementation; basically
14 detects if it's flat_list (portage_db_flat), or flat_hash and calls
15 accordingly.
16
17 Aside from that, tried to keep changes as minimal as possible. The
18 patch isn't complete due to the fact we need to add an EAPI cache
19 compatibility check for --metadata transfer, but can't do that till I
20 get some feedback from -dev ml regarding a bit of tree cleanup that
21 will go along with it.
22
23 Please test this out; if you want to test the EAPI checking, tag
24 EAPI=1 into an ebuild, and try making emerge bail.
25
26 If you're less adventurous, please test the compatibility cache
27 testing;
28 in /etc/portage/modules
29 portdbapi.metadbmodule=portage_db_metadata.database
30
31 Will enable the autodetection. Additionally,
32 portdbapi.auxdbmodule=portage_db_flat_hash.database
33
34 being flipped on would be appreciated, although you will have to wipe
35 your cache and run emerge --metadata; with the settings above, you're
36 testing the auto-detect functionality, and the new format.
37
38 Thanks,
39 ~harring

2.0.51-eapi-awareness.patch text/plain