From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] chunking up portage
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 09:10:20
1 Brian Harring wrote:
2 > On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 01:54:06PM +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
3 >
4 >>Brian Harring wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>So... thoughts? I'm not much for making portage depend on tarsync
7 >>>just for emerge-webrsync improvements, would rather chunk the bugger
8 >>>out.
9 >>
10 >>How about runtime detection?
11 >
12 > runtime detection is questionable from my standpoint, since while
13 > coding for it is good, without hard dep pulling it in the only folks
14 > who will ever have a faster emerge-webrsync are those who happen to
15 > know the hidden trick to merge tarsync.
16
17 Well, how do you plan to inform users of the splitted package for
18 webrsync? Could just do the same for tarsync instead, or for example if
19 no tarsync is found print a nice little message about "falling back to
20 slow default, emerge tarsync to avoid".
21
22 Marius
23 --
24 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list