From: Alistair Bush <ali_bush@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] repoman Parent repository support patch
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 11:24:10
1 it was suggested to me that I should post my patch to this ml. So here
2 it is.
3
4 Located at
5
6 http://dev.gentoo.org/~ali_bush/portage_parent_repo_support.patch
7
8 you will find a patch for repoman to support a hierarchy of overlays by
9 allowing an overlay to specify its parents. I have recently been using
10 this patch over java-experimental to solve the absolute mess "we" have
11 created there.
12
13 I would like to thank zmedico for the help he has given me on this.
14
15 Thinks to note/discuss.
16
17 An overlays parents are specified as a space separated list of
18 pkg_names, with a key of masters, located with a file metadata/layout.conf.
19
20 eg
21
22 masters = gentoo java-overlay
23
24 gentoo is implied and assumed so is not necessary ( and is actually
25 filtered out within the code as it isn't an overlay). The reason I have
26 this is to maintain compatibility with other package managers and
27 because being explicit is a good thing. If we were to change this then
28 it would be sensible to also change the file name. Other package
29 managers also store other variables within this file. I propose that
30 they are just ignored. I have not currently implemented the validation
31 classes that can be used by KeyValuePairFileLoader.