From: Kito <kito@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Questions about CVS locations and GID...
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 02:12:25
1 On Oct 5, 2005, at 9:02 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 20:56:42 -0500 Kito <kito@g.o> wrote:
4 > | Its not like this is unchartered territory... off the top o'
5 > | me head pkgsrc, DarwinPorts, openpkg, fink, written word,
6 > | autopackage, MINE, and SamHain have all tackled this in one way or
7 > | the other. All of these projects have their faults (duh? but then
8 > | again so does portage and the ebuild tree) but a few of them have
9 > | been quite successful despite their varying points of inherent
10 > | silliness.
11 >
12 > Sure. They work around it by having lots and lots of workaround code,
13 > not by solving the original problem.
14
15 Most of the workaround code I see in the few of these I'm acquainted
16 with is in the various bootstrap mechanisms, and the general
17 deficiency of the underlying PM, i.e. no sane package versioning
18 scheme (ports like python24, gcc3,gcc4, etc.), no globally defined
19 'build opts'(read: use flags), and nowhere to store platform specific
20 knowledge (profiles), so all that crap ends up being stuffed directly
21 in their portfiles.
24 > --
25 > Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
26 > Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
27 > Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm
31 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list