From: Daniel Stiefelmaier <mail@××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Improved user information and communication
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 21:51:46
1 >> man emerge provides information on possible options, why should there
2 >> not be a way to get information on an ebuilds option???
5 > because emerge is the tool, not the object. You wouldn't expect the
6 > openoffice documentation to cover examples for different kinds of
7 > letters, would you?
8
9 err.. i think you got me wrong... i do not expect emerge to have a
10 built-in list of use flags.
11 The description should be in the .ebuilds or metadata.xml
12 But i hope you do agree, that eix or emerge are the appropriate tools to
13 dig such information.
14 (maybe eix more than emerge)
15 Just like "emerge -vv" will print information about the ebuild
16 maintainers in future release, if i got that right.
17
18 >> The useflag "xprint" sounds like printing support, but doesn't tell
19 >> if you need it if you use cups or the kde-printing system or...
20 >> whatever.
23 > ~ $ grep xprint /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc
24 > xprint - Support for xprint, http://www.mozilla.org/projects/xprint/
25 >
26 > what do you need more?
27
28 - ease of use
29 - elegance
30 - not need to know about every portage file (especially if new to gentoo)
31 - time efficiency (for dozens of flags)
32 - non-global flags
33
34 eix also provides only information that you could grep in a more or less
35 elegant way.
36 or using google...
39 >> Why do you think just because YOU don't need it, noone will?
42 > This is not a personal debate. The most important reason I see against
43 > this idea is that portage is a package manager, not a documentation
44 > center.
45
46 most programs, even those for gurus, print information about their
47 option or AT LEAST how to GET information. still, these programs are
48 "not a documentation center".
49
50 > Why should the ebuild contain links to documentation? To be honest,
51 > not even the HOMEPAGE info is needed, it's just for the user's
52 > convenience.
53
54 even emerge is "just for the user's convenience"
55 even distributions are "just for the user's convenience", who needs them?
56 i never heard someone argueing that a feature is needless because it is
57 convenient.
58 features are there to be convenient.
59
60 > I tend to refer to the UNIX principle: The right tool for the right
61 > job. For your problem, google (or any other search engine of course)
62 > is the right tool.
63
64 what should i say? don't you have bookmarks of good sites? do you always
65 google for them?
66 of course you will get what you want in many cases but not always.
67
68 another unix principle is that everybody can do everything the way he
69 likes. in this case, i prefer to have a "readers choice" instead of
70 googling and digging the perls.
71
72 also, i agree that emerge may not be the right tool for that. may be
73 "eix" or a new one.
74 what this is about, is including additional information (only one link
75 that will not hurt you) in the ebuilds or metadata.xml
76
77 > Do you think we're all sadists?
78
79 No, but hard to believe that you are not ignorant against people
80 - that like to have features you personally find useless
81 - that may be not using linux since 1992 and need more good
82 documentation to install and maintain their system
83 - that (therefore) do not know the linux/gentoo/portage file structure
84 by heart
85
86 > Sorry, but such statements don't help your argumentation.
87
88 Did you think the statements in Jasons first reply were all helping the
89 discussion?
90
91 >> BTW, if "This is out of the domain of a package in any package
92 >> management system", then why do some packages print additional
93 >> information after emerging, like what files should be updated manually?
94 >
95 > For the user's convenience of course.
96
97 This sounds like they are needless.
98
99 > Introducing documentation links in ebuilds however is a massive
100 > effort, and I don't think that effort is worth it. I'd rather fix a
101 > broken package than googling for documentation.
102
103 I did not yet dive into portage, but why is it such a big effort? For
104 the ebuilds themselves it is adding one more line on the next regular
105 update. (This would be for the wiki. If the help on the useflags would
106 be included in the ebuild and not in the wiki, yes, then it would be a
107 bit more effort. But i guess the maintainers know their flags and could
108 add some lines that describe them quickly)
109
110 >> That question was rhetorical. Of course it's because portage can't
111 >> handle everything.
112 >> This is why there should be an easy, defined way to get information.
115 > This defined way is google, IMHO.
116
117 IMHO it is a helpshift
118