From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] New emerge --mindeps option for exclusion of build time dependencies (bug #132355)
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 16:23:59
1 On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 08:22 -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Ned Ludd wrote:
6 > >> Please invert the logic so that rather than changing default behavior
7 > >> you add a new option choose the types of deps to include.
8 >
9 > Can you explain how my proposed change in the default behavior of
10 > --usepkg is going to hurt things? The current default behavior is
11 > inconsistent because build time dependencies are considered for
12 > packages that are installed but not for binary packages that are about
13 > to be installed.
14
15 And nor should they be unless the user explicitly asks for it.
16 There basically should be no valid reason to look at build
17 deps as we are dealing with a binary pkg because the package
18 is already built.
19
20 > By doing away with this one special case for binary packages, the
21 > dependency calculation will be consistent for installed vs. binary
22 > packages.
23 >
24 > >> I was in favor and thought we were going to do it after 2.1 and the 2006
25 > >> release under the idea of the variable ACCEPT_DEPENDS
26 > >
27 > >> export ACCEPT_DEPENDS="DEPEND RDEPEND PDEPEND"
28 > >> emerge -K system
29 >
30 > While I admire the flexibility of your ACCEPT_DEPENDS proposal, I feel
31 > that it exposes far too much complexity to the user.
32
33 Really? To me it would seem very natural to the Gentoo user who is
34 already familiar with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS.
35
36 > Eventually, the functionality of emerge will be available as part of
37 > the portage api and people will probably be able to exploit it to do
38 > all kinds of crazy things like that. I just don't feel that it's
39 > appropriate to expose something like that through the emerge
40 > interface. Can you explain why we should expose that much complexity
41 > through the emerge interface?
42 >
43 > >> Whatever we do in the end does not really matter as long
44 > >> as we don't change default expected behaviors.
45 >
46 > Again, can you explain how my proposed change is going to hurt things?
47
48 To me it seems like the wrong fix for the problem at hand and
49 changes portage's default behavior in an undesired way.
50 Don't get me wrong I'm definitely in favor of finer grained control
51 over all the dep handling in general, but don't think this option
52 should become the default. I'd invert your logic like in Kumba's
53 proposed patch did and run with that.
57 > Zac
58 >
66 --
67 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>