From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [RFC] making the tree depend on portage
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:22:55
1 On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 17:49 +0100, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > Ok, the subject might be confusing, so let me explain this a bit:
3 >
4 > Whenever we want/need to make structural changes to the tree that are
5 > going to break backwards compability we have a serious problem (see
6 > GLEP 44 in case you don't know about it). To reduce the impact of that
7 > problem I've got the idea to make the tree itself (so not any
8 > particular ebuild or profile) DEPEND on a minimal portage version,
9 Makes syncing a bit more complicated.
10 Downside: potentially more problems
11 Upside: if there's a disruptive change people will at all times have a
12 working system (just think about stacked profiles :-) )
13
14 > which the users would be forced to upgrade to (maybe with an override)
15 > before they can do anything else (with the exception of --sync).
16 Or you have a "version file" transferred by rsync (like timestamp)
17 When version > portage version: fetch a static portage tree from a known
18 location (mirror://portage-update-version-N.tbz2 or something)
19 (emerge-delta-webrsync to the rescue!)
20 > Manifest2 is one example for such a situation, another one is the
21 > request to not create manifest entries for ChangeLog and metadata.xml
22 > anymore (needs >=2.0.51.20 on user side).
23 > Don't really like this idea myself, but somthing needs to be done to at
24 > least reduce the problem, having to wait years for old portage versions
25 > to (almost) vanish can't be a permanent solution.
26 I don't like it, but unless portage is smart enough to self-update before anything else ...
27
28 > Also not talking about implementation details yet, just after comments
29 > about the general idea of forced portage updates.
30 If documented properly and guaranteed to work for at least n months after a format change I like it
31 (But I guess iterative updates should work "forever" as long as all
32 files still exist)
33
34 > And just in case anybody wonders: this cannot be fixed with EAPI or
35 > adding a portage dep on packages as those only take effect when the
36 > ebuild is already parsed while the mentioned problems occur much
37 > earlier.
38 Thanks for bringing it up for discussion!
39
40 Patrick
41 --
42 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move