From: myfirstname mylastname <cobus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] speedup emerge?
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 10:24:12
1 Hi there,
2
3 I installed GENTOO yeserday and I must say:
4
5 I LIKE IT.
6
7 Just some observations though:
8
9 when emerging my way from stage 1 to three, I noticed that the emerge
10 does a lot of stuff serially. It first tries to find out a lot of stuff, then downloads the package, then compiles and then checks. These stages have to wait for
11 each other to complete.
12
13 Would it be an idea to run these tasks parallelly like:
14
15 emerge.findout|emerge.download|emerge.build|emerge.check_and_log;
16
17 the processes could pass an xml job describing structure like :
18 job
19 package
20 file
21 downloaded_ok
22 compiled_ok
23 installed_ok
24 various messages and flags
25 /file
26 /packaeg
27 /job.
28
29 this way downloading, checking and building are done in parrallel.
30 Extra advantage: the logging process has all relevant status
31 info at hand and can draw intelligent conclusions as to what went
32 wrong.
33
34 It's just a thought; looking at the emerge script, I couldn's find
35 obvious points for cutting it in four. I noticed that messages are
36 writen to stderr, so piping stdouts to stdins should be no problem.
37
38 Any thoughts on it?
39
40 cheers,
41
42 cobus
43 --
45 Find what you are looking for with the Lycos Yellow Pages
46 http://r.lycos.com/r/yp_emailfooter/http://yellowpages.lycos.com/default.asp?SRC=lycos10