From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: [RFC] New file layout for PKGDIR and binhosts
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 05:21:03
1 Zac Medico posted on Thu, 25 Dec 2014 03:04:20 -0800 as excerpted:
2
3 > FWIW, you can use 'cp -rl $PKGDIR $PKGDIR.backup' to make a hardlink
4 > snapshot of $PKGDIR. Portage will break hardlinks whenever it needs to
5 > update tbz2 files, so you don't have to worry about updates in $PKGDIR
6 > affecting the files in $PKGDIR.backup.
7
8 Thanks. Your portage knowledge, and more to the point your calm patience
9 explaining its workings and fixing its bugs, always amaze me. =:^) I
10 sure missed it while you were gone and sure am glad you're back, with
11 more help now. =:^)
12
13 I had overlooked emaint --fix binhost (a hazard for those who have been
14 around long enough to have tools seriously evolve after the original
15 learning period), and hadn't thought at all about hardlinks (or btrfs
16 reflinks, since I'm using it for that partition). I expect I'll find
17 this quite useful. =:^)
22 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman