From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Questions about CVS locations and GID...
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 22:54:25
1 On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 11:29:56PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 16:16:06 -0500 Kito <kito@g.o> wrote:
3 > | > b) assume that you'll not have to modify ebuilds
4 > |
5 > | I don't think anyone(devs) has made this naive assumption have they?
6 >
7 > pvdabeel has for pathspec.
8 >
9 > | > and c)
10 > | > demand that as soon as it's available, it works for all ebuilds.
11 > |
12 > | I don't think anyone(devs) has made this naive demand have they?
13 >
14 > pvdabeel has for pathspec.
15
16 You're not talking to pvdabeel right now, so kindly be quiet about
17 him.
18
19 Further, don't argue the dev point, no one cares- we're discussing
20 prefix, not getting pulled into tangents of pathspec nor slams at
21 other devs.
24 > | ICANINSTALLTO was the best idea presented, but that implies it would
25 > | be a list of known working prefixes, which seems unrealistic. Maybe
26 > | it would be better to have portage error check that globally at the
27 > | load_config stage against a list of known stupid prefixes,
28 > | stupidprefixes=["/usr","/","/bin"] etc. etc.
29 >
30 > The plan was to have ICANINSTALLTO="root home prefixed" or somesuch.
31 > The name isn't particularly clear on that...
32
33 See email naming it as domain. Home being a later target; not sure
34 about prefixed, but it's as good of a name as any other (arbitrary, in
35 other words).
36 ~harring