From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Is portage faster when using python3?
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 10:35:18
1 El mar, 08-11-2011 a las 17:53 -0800, Zac Medico escribió:
2 > On 11/08/2011 04:38 PM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
3 > > Reading:
4 > > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Portage_tips#Portage_and_python3
5 > >
6 > > Looks like some people think portage is faster with python3, is that
7 > > true?
8 >
9 > Maybe. You'd hope that python3 would be more optimized, since presumably
10 > the code is being more actively worked on than python2.
11 >
12 > > I have python3 set as main interpreter (for catching packages
13 > > failing to build/work with it), but my portage is merged without any
14 > > python* USE flag, I guess, it's still using python2, no?
15 >
16 > By default, portage uses your default interpreter, so you're already
17 > using python3.
18 >
19 > > If it's faster really, is python3 safe to use with portage or it's only
20 > > offered for testing purposes?
21 >
22 > Nowadays, it should be about as safe as python2. The only difference
23 > that I'm aware of is that with python3 we forcefully convert elog mails
24 > to ascii in order to avoid encoding errors in python's smtplib module.
25 >
26 > > Thanks for the info :)
27
28 Fine, I am already using it with python3 as it's my main interpreter now
29
30 Best regards :D