From: Amit Dor-Shifer <amitds@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: layman attempts to read all overlay lists when synchronizing local overlay
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 10:25:14
1 Sorry. Didn't notice nofetch.
2 10x for the prompt reply.
3 Amit
4
5 Duncan wrote:
6 > Amit Dor-Shifer posted on Wed, 09 Sep 2009 10:54:50 +0300 as excerpted:
9 >> I'm wondering: why should layman attempt to access overlay lists when
10 >> synching? It can use overlays.xml, since the overlay is already
11 >> installed locally.
14 > Umm, did you RTFM? Allow me to quote "the friendly manpage" =:^) :
15 >
16 > -f, --fetch
17 > Fetches the remote list of overlays. You will usually NOT need
18 > to explicitly specify this option. The fetch operation will be
19 > performed automatically once you run the sync, sync-all, or
20 > list action. You can prevent this automatic fetching using the
21 > --nofetch option.
22 >
23 > and...
24 >
25 > -n, --nofetch
26 > Prevents layman from automatically fetching the remote lists
27 > of overlays. The default behavior for layman is to update all
28 > remote lists if you run the sync, list or fetch operation.
29 >
30 > Overlay locations and descriptions may change from time to time,
31 > and by deliberate and documented design decision, layman defaults
32 > to syncing its configured lists whenever you list or sync overlays.
33 > As the manpage makes clear in two different places, the user does
34 > have the ability to change that behavior, if desired, by simply
35 > adding the appropriate option to his invocation.
36 >
37 > That said, if the behavior bothers you and you're not invoking layman
38 > updates from a script such that a single command updates both portage and
39 > layman (plus updates your esearch/eix/etc database), that you could
40 > therefore simply add the option to, I'd suggest filing a bug asking for a
41 > layman.cfg option, similar to the one already there for nocheck.