From: Amit Dor-Shifer <amitds@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] layman: hard-coded fetching from gentoo.org and broken overlays when an 'add' is interrupted
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 21:10:09
1 Hi all. Some questions rgd layman:
2
3 1. Seems like layman is hard-wired to contain the layman-global.txt
4 list of overlays. What's the reasoning behind this? My issue
5 w/this is that, lately, when gentoo.org was unreachable, this
6 hard-wiring presented considerable hangs on fetch attempts.
7 2. Layman refuses to overwrite an existing local overlay dir, if that
8 dir already exists. I've experienced the following scenario:
9 1. added an overlay and broke layman w/ctrl+C before it finished.
10 2. attempted to re-execute the add action. Layman refuses,
11 saying it will not overwrite the dir.
12 3. attempted to remove overlay w/-d. Layman refuses, saying
13 there's no such overlay.
14 4. Same refusal (obviously) when attempting to sync the
15 incomplete overlay.
16
17 I think layman should allow the overwrite, at least pending a (-f)orce
18 flag. As far as my use-cases go, the local instance of the overlay has
19 no importance: it's just a copy from some overlay repo.
20
21 Would appreciate comments,
22 Amit